U2's New York City #3 setlist, 22/07
Tonight, U2 played their third of eight concerts at Madison Square Garden in the heart of Manhattan. Some of the many notable people in attendance included Sir Paul McCartney, Nile Rodgers, Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon, Alicia Keys, former US Senator and current Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum, and longtime U2 producer Steve Lillywhite. The latter tweeted out earlier in the day that U2 had a "good surprise" for those in attendance tonight. Some of the rumours included Bruce Springsteen possibly joining the band on stage. While they did not come to fruition, U2 proved to have a surpise up their sleeve after all.
Early in the set, Out Of Control returned after a four concert absence. It was last played the second Boston show on 11 July. Bono inserted the lyrics "how long, how long" during Out Of Control's bridge, seemingly making reference to 40.
It turns out that Jimmy Fallon did more than just watch the concert. After Mysterious Ways, Bono "spotted" Fallon in the crowd holding a "singer with a broken finger" sign and pulled the host, who recently had surgery on his hand after a fall, onstage to sing lead vocals on Desire. Fallon and The Roots, the house band for the Tonight Show, covered the Rattle And Hum song last November when Bono's bike crash in New York City left the band unable to perform on the late night show that week.
Speaking of The Roots, they joined U2 and Fallon on stage to play Angel Of Harlem, much like the two bands did on the Tonight Show back in May. The Roots drummer Questlove took Larry's spot on the drums, while Mullen played the tambourine. As with Out Of Control, these performances of Desire and Angel Of Harlem represented their return to the setlist after missing four shows each. This is the first time U2 have performed Angel Of Harlem at a full tour gig in New York since the third leg of the Elevation Tour in October 2001.
The video featuring Stephen Hawking's voice that had preceded all previous IE Tour performances of City Of Blinding Lights (and Miracle Drug, on the two occasions that it was performed in place of City Of Blinding Lights) was moved to precede Beautiful Day at the start of the encore. The encore closed with One, which returned to the set after missing a single show.
The full setlist was:
- The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
- Out of Control / 40 (snippet)
- I Will Follow
- Iris (Hold Me Close)
- Cedarwood Road
- Song For Someone
- Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
- Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
- Until the End of the World (Intermission - The Fly)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing Fish Out of Water Mix
- Mysterious Ways
- Desire (with Jimmy Fallon)
- Angel of Harlem (with The Roots)
- Every Breaking Wave
- With or Without You
- City of Blinding Lights
- Bullet the Blue Sky / 19 (snippet)
- The Hands That Built America (snippet) / Pride (In the Name of Love)
- Beautiful Day / Summer in the City (snippet) / I Remember You (snippet)
- Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- One / All You Need Is Love (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.