U2's Berlin setlist, 12/07
Today U2 performed in Berlin, a city special to the band as it is where they spent months recording Achtung Baby in an attempt to chop down the Joshua Tree. Today they put the chainsaw away and watered the tree instead. Water is an apt metaphor: there was persistent drizzle, and sometimes heavier rain, all afternoon and evening.
Bono referenced the rain twice in song. He sang a very long snippet of Singin' in the Rain at the start of Bad, letting the crowd sing some lines. And at the end of the night, with some assistance from Edge on guitar, Bono sang The Beatles' Rain. This was not a full cover like in the past—just a few lines.
Bono also continued a theme established in London of snippeting David Bowie heavily. Most notable today was Bad, where Bono did the extended Heroes snippet that he did previously in London, and then followed it with the German language version, Helden.
Mysterious Ways stayed in the setlist after its return at London 2. This is its fifth performance of the tour. Afterwards, Bono led the crowd in Happy Birthday for Malala Yousafzai, who is featured in the video montage for the subsequent song, Ultra Violet.
At the end of Miss Sarajevo, some text from Germany's constitution, the Grundgesetz, was displayed on screen. Bono recited the first two clauses of Article 1; the screen text was in German but Bono spoke an English translation.
The full setlist was:
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- New Year's Day
- Singin' In The Rain (snippet) / Bad / Heroes (snippet) / Helden (snippet)
- Pride (In the Name of Love)
- Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- With or Without You
- Bullet the Blue Sky
- Running To Stand Still
- Red Hill Mining Town
- In God's Country
- Trip Through Your Wires
- One Tree Hill
- Exit / Wise Blood (snippet) / Eeny Meeny Miny Moe (snippet)
- Mothers Of The Disappeared
- Miss Sarajevo / Grundgesetz (snippet)
- Beautiful Day / The Passenger (snippet)
- Vertigo / Rebel Rebel (snippet)
- Miss You (snippet) / Mysterious Ways / This Is Not America (snippet) / Young Americans (snippet) Happy Birthday
- Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
- One / Hear Us Coming (snippet) / Rain (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.