U2's Barcelona setlist, 18/07/17
Tonight U2 performed in Barcelona, Spain. It comes just over 30 years to the day that they performed in Spain for the first time, 15 July 1987, a date that also saw the live debut of Spanish Eyes. This was their only performance in the country this tour, an uncommon occurance for the band - Elevation and the original Joshua Tree tours are the only other occasions they have performed just once in Spain.
Bad returned to the set after missing one night. Before the song, Bono spoke of his friendship with David Bowie. Bowie's Heroes was duly snippeted at the end of the song. With tonight's performance Running to Stand Still has now been played more times than Even Better Than the Real Thing. Prior to Trip, Bono thanked his friend Reggie for encouraging him to respond to Larry's flier and making sure he attended that first rehearsal. Afterwards he spoke a line from Spanish Eyes; this is the first time it has ever been snippeted.
Some stats we missed at recent concerts: Vertigo passed 40 in the list of times played at Rome 1; it is now the sixteenth most played U2 song. Beautiful Day reached 500 performances and Ultraviolet 200 in Berlin, while With or Without You hit 800 at Rome 2. The most astounding stat we missed is that U2 passed 34 thousand individual song performances over their entire career at Rome 2. Of course, given the number of incomplete and missing early setlists this will have actually occurred quite a few concerts earlier, but the figure is nonetheless staggering to look at.
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- New Year's Day
- Bad / Heroes (snippet)
- Pride (In the Name of Love)
- Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- With or Without You
- Bullet the Blue Sky / America (snippet)
- Running To Stand Still
- Red Hill Mining Town
- In God's Country
- Trip Through Your Wires / Spanish Eyes (snippet)
- One Tree Hill
- Exit / Wise Blood (snippet) / Eeny Meeny Miny Moe (snippet)
- Mothers Of The Disappeared / El Pueblo Vencera (snippet)
- Miss Sarajevo
- Beautiful Day / Starman (snippet)
- Vertigo / Rebel Rebel (snippet)
- Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
- One / Hear Us Coming (snippet)
- The Little Things That Give You Away
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.