The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 is coming to an end. U2 have arrived in the final city of the tour: São Paulo, Brazil. Today they performed their first of four shows there, an unprecedented run of shows for the band in South America.
At the start of Bad, Bono quoted from O Alquimista (The Alchemist) by Brazilian author Paulo Coelho, reciting a famous line about "when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it". He then dedicated the snippet of Heroes to Renato Russo and Cazuza, famous Brazilian musicians who died of AIDS.
The band made some references to Brazilian politics during the concert. Larry wore a shirt against censorship of art, referencing a controversy in Brazil at the moment sparked by the shutdown of the Queermuseu (Queer Museum) exhibit in Porto Alegre. Bono's dedication of the Heroes snippet relates to this, and his speech before One also referred to LGBTI rights. Over the intro of Mothers of the Disappeared he emphasised that "you're not going back, Brazil".
The setlist was the same as that performed at the previous show five days ago in Santiago. The full set was:
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- New Year's Day
- O Alquimista (snippet) / Bad / Heroes (snippet)
- Pride (In The Name Of Love)
- Where The Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- With Or Without You
- Bullet The Blue Sky / The Star-Spangled Banner (snippet) / War (snippet) / America (snippet)
- Running To Stand Still
- Red Hill Mining Town
- In God's Country
- Trip Through Your Wires
- One Tree Hill
- Exit / Wise Blood (snippet) / Eeny Meeny Miny Moe (snippet)
- Mothers Of The Disappeared
- Beautiful Day / Starman (snippet)
- Vertigo / Rebel Rebel (snippet)
- You're The Best Thing About Me
- Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
- One / Invisible (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.
Posted by Axver on