U2's New York City #4 setlist, 23/07
U2 continued their lengthy run in New York tonight, playing their fourth of eight shows at Madison Square Garden. Soundcheck reports indicated that the band rehearsed The Electric Co., Sweetest Thing, and Lucifer's Hands.
The soundcheck proved prophetic. The Electric Co. returned to the rotational second slot after an absence of two shows. Then, during the E stage rotations, Lucifer's Hands was played for just the third time ever, returning after an absence of eleven shows. It was followed by Sweetest Thing, back in the set after missing ten shows.
Up until about a fortnight ago, Every Breaking Wave had always led to Bullet The Blue Sky. However, since then the band have tinkered with the set, following it first with Bad on 11 July and then with With Or Without You at subsequent shows. Tonight, Bono spotted a sign held by a Brazilian fan, Paulo, and pulled him on stage after Every Breaking Wave to play All I Want Is You with the band. This represents All I Want Is You's return to the set after missing four shows. At the end of the performance, Bono let Paolo keep the guitar.
The final setlist variation of the night occurred in the encore. I Still Haven't Found returned after missing one show. There was, however, another variation in the show's production earlier on. For the past four concerts, U2 have used Gavin Friday's version of The Fly as intermission music over the PA. Tonight, however, they returned to the song used during intermission at almost all the previous shows: The Wanderer.
Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin was in attendance tonight. When Dallas Schoo soundchecked Edge's guitars he played some Led Zeppelin riffs, and Bono included a couple of Led Zeppelin snippets. The snippet of Good Times, Bad Times at the end of Beautiful Day was the whole first verse and chorus.
The full setlist was:
- The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
- The Electric Co. / Send in the Clowns (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
- Vertigo / God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols) (snippet)
- I Will Follow
- Iris (Hold Me Close)
- Cedarwood Road
- Song For Someone
- Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / Blaze Of Glory (snippet)
- Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
- Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) (Intermission - The Wanderer)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing Fish Out of Water Mix
- Mysterious Ways / Young Americans (snippet)
- Lucifer's Hands
- Sweetest Thing
- Every Breaking Wave
- All I Want Is You / Into The Mystic (snippet)
- With or Without You
- City of Blinding Lights
- Bullet the Blue Sky / Black Dog (snippet) / 19 (snippet)
- The Hands That Built America (snippet) / Pride (In the Name of Love)
- Beautiful Day / Good Times, Bad Times (snippet)
- Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / People Have The Power (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.