U2's Berlin #3 setlist, 28/09
Tonight was the third of four concerts U2 are performing in Berlin. This is only the second time U2 have ever performed three shows in a German city on one tour; the other time this has happened was when they did three shows in Dortmund in 1989 on Lovetown's second leg.
The biggest surprise of the night came during the rotational E stage set: the tour debut of New Year's Day. This means that New Year's Day joins I Will Follow as the only songs to be performed on every U2 tour since the War Tour. Many fans think Sunday Bloody Sunday can also claim this title, but it missed the entire Lovetown Tour. Party Girl would also be able to claim this title had it not missed the Popmart Tour.
Though October and New Year's Day are well-known as a pairing among fans, this is not actually the first time that both songs have been in the set and not performed consecutively. Though uncommon in the band's history, and despite being twinned on the Pre-War Tour leg of December 1982, during the first two legs of the War Tour proper they were often performed separate, with the first known instance on 26 February 1983. It was not until 6 May 1983 that they were reunited, after Tomorrow was permanently dropped from the set the day prior.
Three other songs rotated back into the set tonight. Gloria was performed in the second slot after missing three concerts. Elevation, back after missing one concert, came before New Year's Day's debut. The show closed with One, which likewise had missed the previous show.
The full setlist was:
- The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
- Gloria / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
- I Will Follow
- Iris (Hold Me Close)
- Cedarwood Road
- Song For Someone
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
- Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) / Words (snippet) (Intermission - The Fly)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing Fish Out of Water Mix
- Mysterious Ways / Burning Down The House (snippet)
- New Year's Day
- Every Breaking Wave
- Bullet the Blue Sky / Ode To Joy (snippet) / 19 (snippet)
- Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- Pride (In the Name of Love)
- With or Without You
- City of Blinding Lights
- Beautiful Day
- Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / One / Invisible (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.