Hope Ax is with you guys tonight! My new job means I can’t stay up for any of the shows left. Matkin.
@tanya_az2 Maybe end of the rehearsal? Not sure.
U2 rehearsed earlier in Mexico City and we got some videos from our friend Stefan. Red Hill Mining Town u2.gs/ue
@DxMayhew Sure it will, just enforce it. No other countries has as many mass shootings as America. Gun control even lowers suicide deaths.
Nothing can be said that hasn’t been said before. America, why won’t you learn? Why won’t you change? Why do you create so much tragedy?
We have a single GA for the Oct 4th show in Mexico City available. Please DM if interested. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
We have 1 GA for each Mex show available at face value. Please DM if interested. Can be handed over in Mexico.
@ZimmShady23 Yep, two great gems. Rise Up especially. The other reissue bonus tracks not so much. Wave of Sorrow makes me wince.
The setlist included possibly the best versions of Mofo, Discotheque, Please, and One ever, and first Edge solo SBS… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Updated our setlist article with the actual setlist. Someone *cough*Ax*cough* forgot to include the show link in the final summary! Oops!
@James19169882 I hate to break it to you, but you’re wrong.
@GnoccoFritto I was referring to the JT album, not MOTD as a song.
@johny_t_777 I laughed heartily! Fingers crossed the Tiges can do this. With the Bombers out I’m so on the Richmond bandwagon.
@johny_t_777 Well that first quarter delivered!
That’s the end of the U2 show—and what a start for Richmond, my word! Two goals in a minute, go Tiges!
Bono shouting tribute to Mexico City over end of One, sings snippet of Drowning Man. “Rise up with wings like eagles.” #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
@tanya_az2 The racist version is actually not the original. It began as a nonsense rhyme. The racist lyrics are decades younger.
Move over U2, time for footy! Will GWS make their 1st grand final in their 6yr history, or Richmond their first in 37 years? CARN THE TIGES.
22. And here it is, One. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Bono’s giving a speech about how much he loves America, presumably means One to come… #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
@TEvansBuhr Not sure what you mean? Our website database has all the snippets…
21. Ultra Violet #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Bono explains the acoustic version of Best Thing is “because the beautiful woman who inspired it is here tonight”. Wanted to sing to her.
I don’t normally like U2’s acoustic versions of anything. But this sounds way more coherent than the electric version! #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
When the show began I was definitely not expecting an acoustic Best Thing. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Before Bono sang the first line of The Best Thing, I was about to tweet “what the fuck is this?” This is mellow. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
20. You’re the Best Thing About Me, played in a noticeably different style to previous performances #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Vertigo has a snippet of Rebel Rebel at the end. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
19, Vertigo #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
18. Elevation #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Bono just snippeted Heathens by Twenty One Pilots during Beautiful Day #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
17. Beautiful Day #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Shout-out to George Clooney. Then quotes from past presidents over PA. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Miss Sarajevo has the snippet of The New Colossus that Bono did earlier on the tour. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
16. We’ve got Miss Sarajevo again, just the second time this leg. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Arthur Fogel of Live Nation was another person who got named. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
“Thank you for listening to the Joshua Tree album,” says Bono. He thanks Corbijn, Oseary, Beck, U2 crew, others. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
15. Mothers of the Disappeared to close the 27th & last full perf of this album in the US, which inspired much of it #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Exit has its usual snippets, Wise Blood and Eeny Meeny Miny Moe #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
14. Here’s the last outing of the Walter Trump intro in the US. It’s time for Exit. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
I will never ever tire of One Tree Hill live, what a song, what an emotional experience. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Shout-out to my fellow Kiwis here. You’ve got just over an hour to vote if you haven’t yet; get your arse down to a polling booth now!
13. Maungakiekie #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
12. Trip Through Your UF Track Threes. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Bono gives usual “the Irish have been coming to the US for hundreds of years” speech; “we were the original Dreamers”. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Spanish Eyes is legit in my top 15 U2 songs.
Ranking the JT b-sides best to worst:
Silver & Gold
Deep in the Heart
Walk to the Water
Race Against Time
11. In God’s Country. Bono: “we have to stay awake to dream, do we not?” #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
@PerryGPapa At one show I got so distracted by the woman in the centre of the video blinking that I started counting them. Lost track at 30.
OK, sorry, our whole site is running very slowly, I’m not sure what the problem is; that’s Matt’s expertise. But I’ll keep updating here!
10. Ochre Hill Mining Town. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
I’d love to update the full set on the mainpage but our backend is shitting the bed right now. Hopefully sorted soon. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
9. These puns are Running to Stand Still. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Snippets of War and America (West Side Story) in Bullet. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Sounded like Bono said “Edge, for Jacknife, take us there” before Bullet’s first solo. Did I mishear? Reference to Jacknife Lee?
Starting to think I should leave the pun game to Matkin after all.
8. Bullet the Blues Pie. No, I don’t know what this pun is about either. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
7. I woodn’t normally make this pun, but With or Without Yew. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
6. I Still Haven’t Found the Funny Joke I’m Looking For #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
@gilson_jr_ I still think I’ve got one over Matkin with my old “bong for someone” pun.
Snippet of California in Streets. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Bono gives a shoutout to the “619 community”, using San Diego’s area code. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
5. Where the Tweets Are So Lame #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
They could not take your pide (in the name of labne). #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
4. Pride #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Nice little callback by Bono to a great EP: “we’re not sleeping, we’re wide awake in America”. Then snippet of America #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
He thanks everyone for coming, whether they crossed the street, the city, the state—or the border.
Bono: “thank you for coming out to see us on this Indian summer evening”. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
3. Bad #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
@gilson_jr_ Especially since they ARE doing IWF! I was certain OOC would be in the mix.
Bono says thank you and goodbye to Beck and his band, tonight being their last support slot for U2. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
2. New Year’s Day #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
1. Sunday Bloody Sunday opens the 27th and last US show of the #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
FINALLY. It’s practically 9:40pm in San Diego and The Whole of the Moon is playing. U2 in a few minutes with SBS. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
@PerryGPapa Could NYD possibly be second…!
Well while we wait for the band, I’m cracking open a beer. It’s a sunny Saturday arvo here in Wollongong. Cheers, prost, živjeli, sláinte.
@PerryGPapa Will Streets have an almost imperceptible grab from California?! STAY TUUUNED.
@SallieAnnG CARN THE TIIIIIGES!
Come on U2, hurry up and start. I don’t want the end of the show running past the first bounce of Richmond vs GWS!
I thought I’d cocked up timezones and missed the start of the show, but U2 are yet to begin in San Diego. Soon! Soooon. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Hope you’ve all had the opportunity to read this great overview of the most recent rumours re: U2’s album and tour… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
@DWilbur3 San Diego County Credit Union. I can see why they’re not using their full name for the stadium name - bit of a mouthful!
Been following the saga of my favourite F1 statistician @virtualstatman as he tried to get his tickets to San Diego. They made it!
Note: when today’s show was announced, the stadium was called Qualcomm. It’s now SDCCU Stadium, and our database is updated to reflect this.
NZ has election blackout laws—but since I’m in Australia and not subject to them: if you’re yet to vote, please vote & vote Labour or Green.
I normally shy away from politics on this account unless it pertains to U2 because that’s not what you’re here for, but indulge me this one:
Yep, I’ll be covering the show - and watching the AFL prelim final between Richmond & GWS, and following the NZ ele… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Thanks to those passing on updates that the airport is open. My info outdated. Those saying I’m telling lies I have just two words for you
I will not be surprised if U2 postpone Mexico City shows. Terminal 2 badly damaged, rest of airport not exactly functioning from what I hear
virtualstatman Okay so all options exhausted here. My U2 tickets are in Ohio, I am in California. The show is tomorrow. What can I do about this?
End of the show. “Our prayers are with Mexico City tonight” says Bono. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Bono turns Drowning Man snippet into tribute to Mexico after quake: “Don’t let go, Mexico. Viva Mexico!” #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Drowning Man snippet in One. Pleased this is becoming regular. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
I’m so used to One being 21st that I accidentally said so in the last tweet. We have in fact reached 22 songs tonight! #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
21. Yep, here’s One. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Bono speech time. Presume One is next, and last. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
21. Ultra Violet, which better have Kate Sheppard on screen for Suffrage Day #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
20. You’re the Best Thing About Me stays in the set. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
End of Vertigo has snippet of It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
19. Vertigo #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Meeting pushed back a bit so you have me for a few more minutes. 17th was Beautiful Day, then Elevation. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Time for me to go. If you reply to this tweet w/ set updates I’ll retweet the best & thank you on the mainpage when I’m back in ~45 minutes!
16. Encore begins with… Miss Sarajevo, back after missing all six prev shows on the current leg! #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
I’m afraid I have to go to a meeting in a couple of minutes. If we’re lucky Matt will be up & able to update! Otherwise I will after.
That’s the end of the main set. Bono thanks the audience and the band leave stage. Encore to come. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
15. Mothers of the Disappeared. If you haven’t paid attention for the past 30 years, this is the end of the album. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Exit has its usual snippets: Wise Blood and Eeny Meeny Miny Moe. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
14. Exit #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
13. One Tree Hill. Very brief intro from Bono tonight, not his usual speech, just “this is for Greg Carroll”. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
12. Trip Through Your Harmonicas. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
@Rodrivox Jealous! I reckon if the rest of the tour hadn’t been postponed we would’ve got Fast Cars on St Patrick’s Day in Auckland.
Surprised Bono didn’t tailor his pre-In God’s Country speech to be more specifically about Arizona. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
11. In God’s Country. “Welcome to side 2 of the Joshua Tree album. Might be a few scratches on the vinyl.” #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
On the periscope I’m listening to right now, I think I heard somebody yell “play it again!” after Red Hill. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
@sb_wreeldeal Luminous Times is a great b-side too! Most of the other JT ones missed the album for good reason. UF has the best b-sides.
@Rodrivox The one and only performance of Stingray Guitar after 2010!
10. Rouge Hill Mining Town #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
9. (Actually track 9 this time) Running to Stand Still #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Bullet has its usual snippets War and America (West Side Story). #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
That should be eighth, of course.
9. Bullet the Blue Sky. WOWY had no snippets. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
Before solo of WOWY Bono gave a shout-out to “Holly and Chris”. #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
@Rodrivox Mine’s Spanish Eyes. Some days it’s in my top 10 U2 songs overall. Always in the top 15.
Last time U2 played WOWY, 5 days ago in NOrleans, Bono did Love Will Tear Us Apart snip. Of course, I wasn’t covering that gig! Do it again!
7. With or Without The CD Tracklist #U2TheJoshuaTree2017
6. I Still Haven’t Found. Will the next song be With or Without You? (Spoiler alert: it will be.) #U2TheJoshuaTree2017