U2's New York City #7 setlist, 30/07
It is the penultimate night of U2's eight-night stand in New York, and indeed the penultimate night of the first leg of the Innocence + Experience Tour. This show equals U2's record for most consecutive shows in a city. Back on Lovetown's first leg, U2 performed seven consecutive shows in Melbourne. That record will be beaten tomorrow.
This show featured a number of surprises. After Mysterious Ways, Bono brought well known fan Mark "U2Brothr" Baker to do the filming for Meerkat and spoke to him about when he and his tribute band Acrobat came on stage earlier this tour at the first Toronto show. Bono then acknowledged the woman who called 911 after his bicycle accident in November and two of the firefighters who responded, who were in the audience. They were not brought on stage but were given the microphone to speak from the floor. The firefighters, of Engine 44, were cheered warmly and shared a shot of Jameson with Bono. The woman, who was from Virginia, took some potshots at New York and New Yorkers since many other people passed by the accident without stopping to help, and her putdowns were not well received.
The rotational slot early in the main set was occupied by The Electric Co., back after missing two shows. The E stage rotational slots were filled by Elevation and Ordinary Love for the third time out of the seven New York shows so far. They had both missed a show each.
Ordinary Love was followed by a cover of Satellite Of Love in honour of Lou Reed. The performance featured Reed's vocals and video footage like on ZooTV. This is the first time U2 have covered Satellite Of Love since 10 December 1993 (though Bono and Edge performed it at a private memorial on 2 December 2013 after Reed's death). It was played at 145 shows across ZooTV.
The encore featured a further surprise. Paul Simon joined U2 on stage for Mother And Child Reunion. Normally we list this song as a snippet leading into Steets, as it is used to introduce the song rather than being performed separately; however, this performance was longer, with Simon singing lyrics that Bono does not get up to, and it sat more independently of Streets. For this reason, today's version gets a separate listing in our database.
A photo of the printed setlist shows that the closer was listed as I Still Haven't Found. However, the band played One instead.
The full setlist was:
- The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
- The Electric Co. / Send in the Clowns (snippet) / Helter Skelter (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
- Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio? (snippet) / Vertigo
- I Will Follow
- Iris (Hold Me Close)
- Cedarwood Road
- Song For Someone
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
- Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) / Words (snippet) (Intermission - The Fly)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing Fish Out of Water Mix
- Mysterious Ways / Girls On Film (snippet) / Young Americans (snippet)
- Ordinary Love
- Satellite Of Love
- Every Breaking Wave
- Bullet the Blue Sky
- The Hands That Built America (snippet) / Pride (In the Name of Love)
- Beautiful Day / I Remember You (snippet)
- With or Without You / Satellite Of Love (snippet)
- City of Blinding Lights
- Mother And Child Reunion (with Paul Simon)
- Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- One / All You Need Is Love (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.