U2's Barcelona #4 setlist, 10/10
U2 performed their fourth and final show in Barcelona today. This is the first time U2 have played four shows in Spain on a single leg of a tour. They had previously done three twice - San Sebastian and two in Barcelona on ZooTV's 1992 European leg, and Barcelona, San Sebastian, and Madrid and on Vertigo's 2005 European leg. The record for most Spanish shows across an entire tour, however, remains unbeaten: ZooTV's 1993 European leg had shows in Oviedo and Madrid, bringing that tour's total to five.
The band rehearsed Spanish Eyes during soundcheck. Before the first show there was some confusion over whether it was soundchecked. However, there is no doubt today: listen to a short clip of the soundcheck here.
To much excitement, Spanish Eyes made it into the setlist and was the biggest treat of the night. This was its first performance since 26 September 2010. It was played 13 times back in 1987, but only four times in the subsequent 28 years (counting today's performance). U2 have now played 50 original songs on the current tour - the total rises to 53 when covers are counted. The only other tours to feature at least 50 original U2 songs are Vertigo (total 53; with covers, 60) and current record-holder 360 (total 55; with covers 61).
Early in the set, Gloria returned after missing four shows. This is the first time it has ever been played in Spain. Before Spanish Eyes, Desire was performed after missing one show. Javier Bardem and Penélope Cruz joined the band on stage for Mysterious Ways and Desire. During Pride, Bono urged the crowd to sing for the peacemakers killed this morning in a terrorist attack in Ankara, Turkey, and to sing for their families.
The show closed with Bad and 40, which both returned to the setlist after missing three shows each. This is only the second time 40 has ever been performed in full anywhere in Spain; its solitary previous performance was on the same night of Spanish Eyes' live debut, 15 July 1987 in Madrid.
The full setlist was:
- The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
- Gloria / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
- I Will Follow
- Iris (Hold Me Close)
- Cedarwood Road
- Song For Someone
- Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
- Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
- Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) / Words (snippet) (Intermission - The Fly)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing Fish Out of Water Mix
- Mysterious Ways / Y.M.C.A. (snippet) / Burning Down The House (snippet)
- Spanish Eyes
- Every Breaking Wave
- Bullet the Blue Sky / Ode To Joy (snippet)
- Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- Pride (In the Name of Love)
- With or Without You
- City of Blinding Lights
- Beautiful Day / I Remember You (snippet)
- Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / Bad / 40 (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.