U2's Paris #3 setlist, 06/12
Today, U2 were back in Paris to perform their third of four French shows of the Innocence + Experience Tour. This was the first of the two shows that had to be rescheduled in the wake of the horrific events of 13 November 2015. Before the show, there was a rumour that Eagles of Death Metal, at whose concert 89 people were killed in the terrorist attacks, would join U2 tonight. U2.com debunked this rumour but said that there would be another special guest - who turned out to be Patti Smith.
Before Iris, Bono spoke to the crowd in both French and English about the terror attacks and the nature of grief. He said that "we can't save you, but our prayer tonight is to be useful to you this evening ... we are your servants this evening". Tonight's performances of Sunday Bloody Sunday and Raised By Wolves were especially passionate.
The setlist ran to 27 songs, which means this show ties for the record of U2's longest concert. Two other shows have run to 27, both on the current leg; 18 October 2015, Cologne (which would actually be 28 if we counted Happy Birthday towards the total), and 7 November 2015, Glasgow (assuming you count Bono singing along live with The Fly intermission).
A big surprise in the setlist was Ordinary Love, returning for only its second performance of the European leg. It was last played on opening night three months ago in Turin, 4 September. Bono spoke beforehand about the legacy of Nelson Mandela, who died two years ago yesterday.
Also back in the set was Out Of Control after missing two shows, and Elevation and One after each missing one. Bad was played for the fourth time in a row, a rare streak for one of U2's most legendary live songs; the last time it was played at so many consecutive shows was on the Elevation Tour, when it appeared at the six final shows of the third leg in November/December 2001.
Patti Smith came on stage near the end of Bad, and as the band finished the song she sang a snippet of her song Gloria with Bono. They then closed the show with a performance of People Have The Power, Patti's song that has been used as taped intro music at almost every show this tour. This is the second time U2 have covered this song; the first, also with a guest appearance by Patti, was in London on 29 October 2015.
This was a truly special show. The full setlist was:
- The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
- Out of Control
- I Will Follow / Mother (snippet)
- Iris (Hold Me Close)
- Cedarwood Road
- Song For Someone
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
- Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) / Words (snippet) / The Divine Image (snippet) (Intermission - The Fly)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing Fish Out of Water Mix / Break On Through (snippet)
- Fashion (snippet) / Mysterious Ways / Burning Down The House (snippet)
- Ordinary Love
- Every Breaking Wave
- Zooropa (snippet) / Bullet the Blue Sky / Ode To Joy (snippet) / America (snippet) / 19 (snippet)
- Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- Pride (In the Name of Love)
- With or Without You
- City of Blinding Lights / Ne Me Quitte Pas (snippet) / If You Go Away (snippet)
- Beautiful Day
- Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / One / Invisible (snippet)
- Bad / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet) (with Patti Smith)
- People Have The Power (with Patti Smith)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.