U2's Boston #3 setlist 14/07
Tonight, U2 played their third of four concerts in Boston, Massachusetts. They will move on to New York to conclude the North American leg of the tour later this week. Reports from the venue earlier on in the afternoon indicated the band soundchecked The Crystal Ballroom, which had been played just once on this tour, back at the fourth Chicago show on 29 June.
The Crystal Ballroom did, in fact, graduate from soundcheck to appear in the second rotational slot after Elevation, which itself returned after missing one show. The Crystal Ballroom transitioned into a very, very lengthy snippet of Miss You by The Rolling Stones. Here is a video by Chris Krechting:
A female guitar player named Gretchen, whom Bono met outside the venue earlier in the day, was brought onstage to play guitar during All I Want Is You. This was its fourth performance so far this tour, returning after an absence of two shows.
Early in proceedings, The Electric Co. returned after a single-show absence. Much like the previous concert in Boston, the band changed around the order at the end of the main set. Instead of leading into Bullet The Blue Sky (or Bad, like last show), Every Breaking Wave led into With Or Without You. City Of Blinding Lights remained in the main set with its Stephen Hawking video intro, and Pride was the final song of the main set. Pride was once a regular choice to close the main set - it was either last or very close to the end of the main set at many shows from 1984 to 1993, and again in 2001 - but it had not filled that role for a while. Apart from 24 June 2011 at Glastonbury, Pride last closed a main set on 2 December 2001.
Beautiful Day opened the encore and over its outro Bono snippeted the chorus of Ultra Violet (Light My Way) in response to a fan's sign calling for the Achtung Baby song. Beautiful Day has rarely appeared in U2's encores; it was an encore song at this tour's opening night, but before that it had only been played in the encore once, on 16 May 2001. The show closed with I Still Haven't Found, returning after missing three gigs.
The full setlist was:
- The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
- The Electric Co. / Send in the Clowns (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet)
- I Will Follow
- Iris (Hold Me Close)
- Cedarwood Road
- Song For Someone
- Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
- Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
- Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) (Intermission)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing Fish Out of Water Mix
- Mysterious Ways / Burning Down The House (snippet) / Young Americans (snippet)
- The Crystal Ballroom / Miss You (snippet)
- All I Want Is You
- Every Breaking Wave
- With or Without You
- City of Blinding Lights
- Bullet the Blue Sky
- The Hands That Built America (snippet) / Pride (In the Name of Love)
- Beautiful Day / Ultraviolet (Light My Way) (snippet) / I Remember You (snippet)
- Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / People Have The Power (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.