U2's Glasgow #2 setlist, 07/11
Tonight U2 were in Glasgow for their second and final concert in the city. The show is exactly 31 years after U2 performed the second of two classic Unforgettable Fire Tour shows at Glasgow's Barrowlands Ballroom, on 7 November 1984, a fact Bono made note of before Iris. The last time the band played two concerts in Scotland on the same tour was during the second leg of the Elevation Tour on 27 and 28 August 2001, sandwiched between the two memorable nights at Slane Castle.
Gloria made a surprise return to the set after missing one concert. It is the first time this tour that it has been played in a city with only two concerts. By extension, it means Out of Control was not played in a city for the first time this tour. The other big surprises were the returns of Bad and 40, also after missing one night. Less surprising were the returns of Desire after missing one show, and Angel of Harlem after missing five; though the gap for Angel of Harlem may seem large, it has been a standard on the second night this tour leg.
On a snippet note, Shine Like Stars and Love Will Tear Us Apart both made a rare appearance in With or Without You. The last time the two were snippeted together was 7 October 1992 in Birmingham, Alabama. On a trivia note, eleven songs that were played at that concert were also performed tonight.
Important note regarding The Fly intermission: Like last night, Bono appears to have sung live the verses and some of the chorus during the usual intermission of The Fly. We do not yet have confirmation if he is actually singing live or if these were taped before the show, but tonight's take was noticeably different to last night's (and last night he made an error in the second verse). As Bono sang the majority of the song, and we have historically included live vocals over a backing track in the setlist (primarily all of The Edge's karaoke tracks during the PopMart Tour, and performances on TV shows where Bono sings while the band mime to taped tracks), we have provisionally created a new intermission listing for The Fly that - unlike the other intermission listings - counts towards the total songs played. We are considering other options for how to count this; any that require new coding will probably have to wait until after the end of this leg later this month.
But with 27 songs in the set, tonight is therefore tied with Cologne 2 earlier this tour for the longest concert U2 have ever done by number of songs played (though if you count Happy Birthday, Cologne retains the longest setlist).
The full set was as follows:
- The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
- Gloria / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
- I Will Follow
- Iris (Hold Me Close) / Hold Me Close (snippet)
- Cedarwood Road
- Song For Someone
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
- Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) / Words (snippet) (Intermission - The Fly) Bono vocals live
- Even Better Than The Real Thing Fish Out of Water Mix
- Mysterious Ways / Burning Down The House (snippet)
- Desire / 1969 (snippet) / Love Me Do (snippet)
- Angel of Harlem
- Every Breaking Wave
- Bullet the Blue Sky / Ode To Joy (snippet) / 19 (snippet)
- Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
- Pride (In the Name of Love)
- With or Without You / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet) / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
- City of Blinding Lights
- Beautiful Day
- Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / Bad / 40 (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.