U2's Belfast #1 setlist
Today U2 were in Belfast, Northern Ireland, for their first of two concerts in the city. This was their first concert in the country since 26 August 1997 on the PopMart Tour when they performed at the Botanic Gardens. For the concerts today and tomorrow fans have prepared the White Out Belfast movement to show solidarity with the victims of the attacks in Paris last week, the events of which led to the postponement of U2's planned third and fourth concerts in the city. Tonight was a very emotional affair, as it was U2's first concert since the attacks took place.
Larry joined the fans in wearing white today, and U2 paid tribute to the victims of the Paris attacks several times during the concert with repeated references to expressing love over hate. In the encore break preceeding City of Blinding Lights the audience was lit up in the colours of the French flag, and the video screen displayed the now famous peace symbol featuring the Eiffel Tower in the centre with the hashtag #StrongerThanFear. Raised By Wolves was visually modified for tonight as well, with the screen now paying tribute to all the victims of the Troubles in Ireland, North and South. Sunday Bloody Sunday was performed for just the third time in Belfast, the first time in over 28 years in the city. The previous appearances were 20 December 1982 and 24 June 1987.
Aside from these visual changes it was a standard first night set. With the exception of snippets the setlist was unchanged from Paris 2 a week ago, which was used as a test-run for the delayed HBO special. On a final note, tonight featured the 82nd performance of Every Breaking Wave; it is now the most-played U2 song without an official live release, one ahead of Wire.
The setlist was:
- The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
- The Electric Co. / Send in the Clowns (snippet) / I Can See For Miles (snippet) / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
- Vertigo / God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols) (snippet)
- I Will Follow
- Iris (Hold Me Close)
- Cedarwood Road
- Song For Someone
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Raised By Wolves / Psalm 23 (snippet)
- Until the End of the World / Love and Peace or Else (snippet) / Words (snippet) (Intermission - The Fly)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing Fish Out of Water Mix / Break On Through (snippet)
- Moondance (snippet) / Mysterious Ways / Burning Down The House (snippet)
- Sweetest Thing
- Every Breaking Wave
- Bullet the Blue Sky / Ode To Joy (snippet) / 19 (snippet)
- Where the Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet) / All You Need Is Love (snippet)
- Pride (In the Name of Love)
- With or Without You / Shine Like Stars (snippet)
- City of Blinding Lights
- Beautiful Day
- Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / One / Invisible (snippet)
If you attended the show we ask you to share your concert review or photos with other site visitors. You can post your review of the show here and upload your pictures here.